UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

lost book( borrowed to someone and forgot who)

Artimi

Hi,

The book in question was about a Roman coin - from it production through hands of many people as travelled in the Roman Empire..

The many short stories of the people who handled the coin were so good.

Please help 

Way off topic, but I read a post of yours from long ago about how you also got "stuck" in UNRV land - i.e. unable to log out.  How did you finally manage to do so?  There are no options on any of the pages I bring up on this forum.  Someone suggested a forum update may have caused the problem.  Did you delete cookies?

Is the book you're referring to "The Reach of Rome: A Journey Through the Lands of the Ancient Empire, Following a Coin" by Alberto Angela?

The Book Cafe: The Reach of Rome

Edited by guy

Thank you for reminding me that I had previously read the book. It had been such a long time that I had forgotten.

I discovered extensive notes I had made in the book. The book is chock-full of anecdotes and historical references. I appreciated the numerous medical references and unique insights into Roman life. Several paragraphs discussed the different types of Roman kisses and public displays of attraction. Allegedly, Emperor Tiberius banned public kissing to curb the transmission of herpes, for example.

The collection of epitaphs described is interesting: some are humorous and sarcastic, while others are romantic and moving.

My only criticism of the book is its lack of footnotes, which I often rely on for additional research.

I recommend this book highly.

Edited by guy